Artichoke Rice Salad
This has been a family favorite for many years. We'll vary the recipe depending on the occasion and taste preferences. It's versatile enough to use as either a side dish in place of potato or macaroni salad, or add chicken, shrimp or sausage to make it a main course.
Prep Time Total: 12 - 24 hours; Active: 60 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 Servings
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 2 Cups Basmati or Jasmine Rice, rinsed
- 4 Green Onions - sliced thinly
- 2-3 Small Red, Orange and/or Yellow Peppers
- 12 Pimento Olives - sliced
- 2 6-ounce Jars Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- 3/4 Teaspoon Curry Powder; or Cumin and Chili Powder
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Chicken (cubed), Shrimp or Andouille Sausage
- Black olives in place of stuffed olives (depending on taste and spices and meat used)
Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and add the bouillon cube. Stir until fully dissolved and add the rice. Bring back to a boil, cover and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 18 - 20 minutes or according to package directions. When cooked, removed lid, stir and let cool.
While rice is cooking, cut onions, peppers and olives. Set aside.
Drain artichoke hearts, reserving the marinade for the dressing. Cut artichokes in half.
Combine the marinade from the artichokes with the curry powder (or optional spices) and the mayonnaise.
Transfer cooled rice to a bowl and add all chopped vegetables (not meat); blend well, being sure that no rice has clumped together. Add the dressing and stir well to coat all ingredients. May seem a little soupy at this stage, but dressing will be absorbed when left to chill. Chill in refrigerator for up to 12 - 24 hours.
Serve as a side salad, or add chopped meat or shrimp. Can serve over a bed of lettuce, if desired. If salad seems dry, add a little more mayonnaise combined with spices and small amount of vegetable oil.
Will store for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Jenny Campbell